Sunday, September 16, 2012

       I think it is true that life consist of fundamental choices that lie entirely with in the human person and allow them to engage in the world differently. I think they way someone looks at life depends on the choices they make and how they look at situations. I think it is a very credible idea because a person can change how they look at the world by the choices they make to others and to themselves. These choices consist of telling yourself to be more patient while in the long check out line or realizing that we need to stop sometimes and absorb what is going on around us. Most of the people in today's society make choices that directly affect themselves for the best way possible. We also need to slow down and consider others as a factor and a direct effect of our choices.
       I would like to think that I take the time to look around me and be aware of what is going on before I make choices but I don't. As David Foster was talking about, it is hardwired into me that I am the center of the universe and everything revolves around me. They way I look at other people revolve around me. I usually make choices that affect myself like maybe if I am driving and I see someone behind me that wants to get over and I don't let them, I am thinking of myself and not of the other person's needs. In my mind it is fair because the other person way being a jerk for trying to get by me but in reality they might have needed to get around me for a very important reason. I would like to make choices that affect other people positively and automatically think in that way. It is hard to do that even if I am thinking about it.
      Even when I am trying to think about other people it is very hard to make choices that may put myself after others because I am worried about the effect it might have on me. Again I think the universe revolves around me so that means when I make a decision I am going to be the first person I think of when deciding who it is going to affect and how. Even if I try to be nice I might end up making the selfish decision because I thought that the cost of being nice was too much. Maybe it being paying for someone else's lunch when they don't have the money but after school I wanted to get some new shoes. Even if I want to make the good decisions it is still very hard to.
         I noticed that there were a lot of people clapping when David Foster was using sarcasm to explain how other people may have more important things to do then us. There was also a time when Foster was talking about how the people in hummers are just selfish and being horrible with gas and just bad people in general and the crowd thought that he was being serious but in reality he was making fun of how narrow minded the people were being for getting on another peson. I think this is a indication of the people being too wrapped up in their beliefs that they think they are right and everyone else with a hummer is wrong.
        I thought this directly corresponded back to the story he told about the atheist and the christian who were arguing about how the atheist life was saved. The christian thought it was because he prayed to God but the atheist thought it had nothing to do with God but just some people came and saved him. He was explaining how the two people were so caught up in their beliefs that they thought each other were wrong. They didn't want to believe anything else then what they thought was right because they knew they were right. I think this goes hand in hand with the people that were laughing while David Foster were making fun of them in his speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment